“Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.”
Often my wife will tell me that I say, “Just do that” when talking with clients.
“Just do that” is a phrase I use to get clients back on track when they have a “mind tornado” of ideas, thoughts, plans, and problems that are urgent, immediate, and threaten to take them off track forever.
When you’re in a swirl of mental activity you may feel overwhelmed, stuck and confused about which way to go or what to do first.
Don’t despair. There is hope.
When you unpack this high wind mental event and then look at your Performance Goals the solutions usually boil down to doing just a few action items that will get you back on track.
When you’re in a Mind Tornado do this Action Step before it intensifies to a Category F5 mind wind speed that can lift your projects off their foundation and strip bark from trees.
The US Weather Service has found that early detection of weather events is the key to protecting life and property. Early detection is also key to managing your Mind Weather events as well. Meditation is an excellent tool to spot mind whirlwinds.
Mind Tornados, like real weather tornados, have varying wind speeds and intensities. No matter what the category do the following steps early to stay on track:
- Make a list of all the things swirling around in your head right now (every one of them).
- Write them down so you can see them.
- Write down your current Performance Goals in Item (X) by Time (Y) format.
- Circle the items on your list that directly impact achieving your Performance Goals.
- Star any item that is a definite and REAL threat to your immediate survival such as cash flow, customer issues, or impending events.
- Identify those that “should” be done but don’t need to be right now.
- Choose three “Just Do That” items that must be done this week to achieve your Performance Goals and do them.
What is your mind wind speed now?
For more information about achieving your goals go to JackRand.com and download the first strategy of my book FREE.